The architectural complex of Hałpat is located in northern Armenia, about 3 kilometers from the Church of Sanahin. The Hałpat Monastery was founded by the order of King Abbas Bagratuni [928-951]. The main cathedral of monastery, Holy Symbol [Surb Nšan], was built between 967-991 by the orders of Queen Xosrovanuš and her sons Gurgen and Smbat. Beginning from the XIth century, the following buildings were added on the east, north and west sides of the cathedral -- the churches of St. Gregory [1005] and the Holy Virgin, the porch of St. Nšan [1201], the great cloister [1257] the arcades library [13th century] the campanile [1245] and the refectory [XIIIth Century].